Recipe “Friday”: Quinoa Chili!
Posted June 11, 2011on:
I’m baaack! (still catching up!)
This was a good one! Healthy, and vegan, too! (Well until you decide to top it with cheese and sour cream. But that would be your choice, right?)
Recently, I was poking around for healthy soups and stews to have around during our wintry
February June weather in the Northwest, and I found this, which also uses part of the monster pile of quinoa I acquired. I traded out the kidney beans for garbanzos because I prefer the flavor, and… I totally spaced out on adding the corn. But I’m sure it would taste great! (Heh.)
Aside from a little time for veggie chopping, this went together really quickly. Hearty, tomatoey, and you can make it as spicy as you want! (Bruce didn’t miss the meat! That’s an amazing endorsement!)
adapted from Food.com
2 cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 bell pepper (any color), chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (more if you like it hot!)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2/3 c quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 c frozen corn
1 (15.5 oz) can tomato sauce
1 c water
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and saute until tender.
2. Add salt, garlic, pepper, and spices; saute 5-10 minutes.
3. Add rinsed quinoa and stir. Add corn, tomato sauce, and water to onion/quinoa mixture. Simmer 20 minutes.
4. Add beans to the pot and simmer another 15 minutes.
5. Serve as-is (which tastes perfectly fine!) or with your favorite toppings: cheese, sour cream, avocados…
There! Finally got you your “Friday” recipe! And just in time for chili season. 😦 Hopefully we’ll break out of this weather rut soon… I think some of you on the East Coast need to give us a few degrees to balance us out, eh?