Archive for the ‘funny’ Category
The month is slowly coming to a close… just a few more days! And I’m 7 miles from my running goal this month: slowly, steadily, I’ve been getting there! (Despite our terrible weather–last week’s snow and ice storm–I’ve managed to nearly make it there… and there’s still time! So, I will get there!)
How are y’all doing with your goals? I’m happy to be your cheering section! Aim high! You can do it!
So, no recipes today, but I found a bunch of funny stuff to hopefully put a smile on your face. Even if you’re not having the best day, maybe looking at these sites (and clicking through ’em a bit more, if you so desire) will get your spirits up… and in the mood for a workout that you hadn’t planned on! Or something like that.
2. I don’t know what this says about me… but this is something I don’t get. I have a chapstick on my shelf that I got in Switzerland several years ago that I’m still going through (it has French and German on the side, so I know which one it is)… maybe I don’t lose them because I don’t carry a purse? I dunno. I just tend not to lose things… No comprendo.
3. The expressiveness of old cars can be amazing!
4. Maybe this is merely anatomy teacher humor (something I’ve previously done)… but it has me rolling. Hopefully you get a chuckle, too!
5. OK… this one’s just a lame pun. But I like lame puns! And hopefully you do, too.
Laughing yet? I hope so! That was my goal today. I read something about laughing burning 40 calories in 15 minutes… eh, who laughs for 15 minutes straight, anyway? We could always try…
Keep on smiling! And, if you haven’t yet, pick a small goal to get you through to the end of the month! 🙂
OK, I’m back and recovered from Thanksgiving. I made an Indian feast (worthy of many Recipe Friday posts)… it included:
Papads with tamarind chutney
Minted lamb patties (wow, these were so good)
Baked spicy chicken (almost tandoori-ish)
Stir-fried red lentils
Garlic naan (storebought….)
And we shared it with a friend who worked part of the day. Good stuff! The lamb dish will certainly be happening again… I’ll admit that it was my first time cooking lamb!
<i>Did you all have a great holiday weekend? Did you cook anything out of the ordinary?</i>
I’m prepping for another big holiday adventure, coming up here in a few weeks, but meanwhile, here’s a few fun holiday links:
1. Easy gifts for the holidays, or just fun things to share: holiday cake pops and candy apples.
2. The perfect Christmas gift for the cat.
3. This sweet minty Chex mix looks promising…. not healthy, but use a good quality white chocolate like Callebaut, and you’re set!
4. Make your house smell like the holidays! Boil a pot of water, add some orange peels and a few cinnamon sticks.
5. And to balance out the less-healthy eats above, here’s a good-looking recipe for curried sweet potato soup. It’s been soup weather for a while here, so why not make a big pot?
It’s December in a few days… can you believe it? I made a great red lentil and potato soup a few days ago, and I’ll share it with you all on Friday–big-time comfort food. Healthy, too!
Have a great rest of the week, everyone!
OK. You caught me.
I was a bit absent last week. Mea culpa! But I orchestrated a big event, for me: I rented a neighbors’ cabin out at a lake, invited 6 friends (one of them being a yoga instructor), and we held our very own yoga and hiking retreat. I planned and cooked all of the food. I’d say it was a success–and everyone else has been saying the same! I was thoroughly swamped last week, and I’m still catching up, but I can cross the “host a yoga retreat” goal off of my “40 things before 40” list.
Or… maybe now, I could try to create retreats for strangers… hmmm… ???
Anyway, I’m back! I was inspired by a recent post at Carrots and Cake to start listing, in each of my posts, a few things that just make me feel happy. (The idea being… that you, as readers, do the same thing–whether it’s on paper or in your head!) So, here are a few things that make me happy today:
- My dwarf Japanese maple just starting to change color–he is gorgeous!
- Satsuma lotion from the Body Shop (it smells like summer)
- Fresh squeezed orange juice after a run
Think about the little things that make you happy… I’d love to hear about ’em!
And now, for a few more things to make you happy…
1. Cute teapot.
2. ‘Tis the season for pumpkin recipes! But what do you do if you’re left with only a tiny bit in the can? Ideas for that last bit of leftover pumpkin.
5. One last Halloween food idea to decorate your cheeseburgers (or garden burgers, or whatever burger you choose…)
Have a great rest of the week, and remember to think about the the little things that make you happy! Report back here! 🙂
I’m finally resurfacing from reading the virtual piles of Steve Jobs articles, here to see you all again. As a business owner, I very much admired his keen sense of really knowing his clients, and especially knowing what his market wanted before they themselves knew. He truly changed the consumer electronics game especially in the past 15 years.
I read an anecdote on a site in the past week, where an author described having visited a big box electronics store in 1999, when the iMac came out (you know, the ones that came in different colors). The author overheard a customer expressing her disappointment that the store was out of the tangerine-colored iMacs, since they would best go with her drapes. Now… that’s design innovation.
Enough of the business chatter–but before I move on, I’ve used these events as motivation to expand my corporate fitness clientele. One seems like it’s going to be a sure bet (though lots of paperwork on my end) while the other may take some convincing. But–stay outrageous, my friends, in this one precious life that we have. What one step are you going to take today to change your life?
(It can be simple… eating one more vegetable serving than normal, exercising when you didn’t feel like doing so… trying a new exercise class and maybe making it a part of your ongoing routine… calling up an old friend that you haven’t talked to in ages…)
Here are some ideas to get you started, including some healthy and not-so-healthy recipes: (hey, you gotta just have fun sometimes)
1. Healthy crockpot recipes at Skinny Crockpot
2. And now, for something less healthy: cookie dough recipes that are safe to be eaten raw.
4. Ohhh, so many fun indoor Halloween decorations! (You didn’t think I was done with Halloween last week, huh?)
5. Recipes for homemade condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayo, chipotle sauce)
OK–now, it’s time to go and do something outrageous with your life! What’s it gonna be?
OK, peeps, it’s October. That means I can officially share some fun Halloween things and not feel like the retail industry… you know, where they start Easter right after they pack away the Happy New Year goodies? I figure if it’s the same month as the holiday, it’s fair game. And Halloween’s a fun one, so why not think of fun times? 🙂
But before we get there: it’s getting colder (at least here), so I’m bundling up more. Less motivation to show some skin, which for some of us means less motivation to work out. How do you keep yourself going as the weather starts cooling down? For me, it’s actually more comfortable to run in slightly (I said slightly) cooler temps, so until mid-November or so, it still feels great to be outside. And the weather inside the gym is the same, no matter what. As for the deeper motivation–my joints and orthopedic problems won’t stay happy unless I treat ’em well every day, and working out is their treat. If I slack off, they let me know. I do it for my joint and bone health!
Speaking of bones and skeletons (what a great segue!)…
1. Anyone out there expecting? Here’s a great pregnancy Halloween shirt.
2. Look out for skeletons climbing on the outside of your house! (They’d get washed away here, sadly)
3. Some ghoulish ways to do Halloween veggie platters
5. What a great way to serve your guac at a party!
So, does that give you ideas for your Halloween party? Get those brains going now….. ’til then, stay safe and healthy!
Everybody knows what happens on Tuesday! My goofy list! Of goofy things!
Fall has arrived here… and I’m guessing for good, this time. (It’s teased us a few times over the past few months, but didn’t have the guts to stick around. Chicken.) Sunday was the first time that I ran a few minutes since my two hip surgeries, so the cooler weather will be great for upcoming runs. Or, I hope upcoming runs. Jury’s still out on whether it was the right thing to do, but I ran in the middle of refinishing the deck… so, lots of variables. But you know me… I’m gonna try it again!!! (Of course, I picture myself running a half-marathon by the middle of next year… one can always dream, can’t one?)
Anyway, on to silly things:
1. Who knew that cows like Dixieland jazz?
2. Bruce will probably be thrilled that I found a recipe for these cookies. Or the two of us will be very sad, after having downed the whole thing (after a brief moment of bliss).
3. If you love whipped cream (ah, what a silly statement) but have trouble with dairy (I do, sometimes) and want an alternative to soy, here’s a way to make whipped cream from coconut milk. I’m going to have to try this soon!
4. Why I can’t give up coffee.
5. Chatting whales!
All right, so I gave you three sillies and two recipes today. I dunno, I felt like we needed silliness in our lives… happy to provide. Hope you liked it!
I’d love to see any funny links you’ve come across today! Post them in the comments!
See you on Friday with a recipe! It’s getting to be soup and stew time, friends!
Hello hello! Well… forget about all those gloomy whines I logged earlier in July about “where’s summer?” It’s apparently showing up late to the party. I’m usually such a stickler for punctuality, but in this case, I’m not turning summer away!
We’ve had glorious, sunshiny days in the high 70’s around here for about a week now! Alert the media! (Wait… the media probably have been alerted. This is pretty darn unusual for us.)
A few of this week’s interesting and goofy links are even food-oriented. One–gasp–is healthy food-oriented. Can you believe it? (And it’s really full of useful information. I’ll be making good use of it!)
So, here they are:
1. Cute ribbony bookmarks!
2. Chalkboard menu wall! This blog author “menued” the side of a black armoire in her kitchen. Looks great!
3. These look cute! A healthier pizza in large portobello mushrooms.
4. What a fantastic list! Eighty healthy recipe substitutions, most of which look easy to find at regular grocery stores!
5. This is oh so true…. 🙂
OK, gang. I got up early so that I could be stationary biked, bodypumped, treadmilled, and Pilated (ack, I feel like I’m defiling his name without the S, but I can’t quite say Pilatesed?) before the bulk of the sunshine. And now, I have this post out to you all! Go out and enjoy!